Wednesday 10 September 2014

Wordless Wednesday Peter & Jane

Having been told by my good friend, Yvonne Ventresca over at her Young Adult writing blog that September is National Literacy Awareness month in the United States I thought I would combine that with Wordless Wednesday and post this picture:


Is this possibly one of the most influential books in 20th century Britain of all time?  How many of us learnt to read using this scheme and where has that knowledge taken us?

I am also sharing this via the linky party over at Miss DeCarbo's:

My Wordless Wednesday questions are what books/scheme did you learn to read from and why do you think they were successful?

Why not come over and see what others are posing as their question and take a look at their pictures?


8 comments:

  1. Such a sweet picture! It reminds me of my first reader about Sally, Dick, and Jane published by Scott Foresman. The baby boom generation in the United States learned to read with these three characters and their two pets, Spot and Puff. I still remember...

    See Spot.
    See Spot run.
    See Puff.
    Run, Puff, run.

    Look Sally. Look at Spot. Look at Puff.

    And on and on... LOL!

    Have a great week,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely reply, Angela. Peter and Jane also had a dog called Pat. I taught both of my children to read before they started school using these books mainly because of the wonderful illustrations rather than the "story" and I have smuggled them into school to read with some of my struggling readers too at times!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the National Literacy Month shout out. So glad you joined the @WeWrite4U_Lit campaign. And great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a great idea to promote literacy once a year as it truly is the key to unlocking learning for so many. Very pleased to have the opportunity to contribute and wishing you every success in your campaign!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...I remember reading with Dr. Seuss books myself. I, too, remember reading the books: See Spot. See Spot run. Run Spot run. :)
    Mrs. Olson’s Lucky Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found Dr. Seuss is a wonderful reintroduction to reading for older children due to their humour. Lots of repetition and rhyme helps those who struggle.

      Delete
  5. I never had any of these books but I did have the 'next generation' of Ladybird readers with the Puddle Lane books. I found a bunch of them at a secondhand bookstall in North Yorkshire and it took all my strength not to buy them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have lots of the Puddle Lane books too - which I have also smuggled into school (they seem to appeal to boys - maybe because of the magic?)

      Delete