Thursday 4 June 2015

Doodling on Day 4

Did I say how much I am enjoying letting go and doodling away on this art challenge?  Yesterday I was playing with matches & today I'm remembering when I always used to be drawing leaves on my school exercise books.


Today's prompt was mailbox and even though we don't have this type in England I decided I didn't want to draw a postbox and I didn't want to put a small postbox on top of a stick and make it look like a US mailbox either.   So I have very literally drawn a US mailbox but then I found myself thinking about if a letter had been delivered but the letter had never been taken out of the box and the foliage had grown up and around the old mailbox and what would have been in that last letter that someone never received and there would be no reply back either so what would happen then?

Letters never forget
They wait patiently
For someone to read
For someone to smile over
For someone to shed tears over
Letters never forget
They record for posterity
Words someone needed to write
Words someone wanted to whisper
Words someone wanted to shout
Letters never forget
But what if they don't get delivered?
What if no-one reads the words they hold?
Then time stands still on that paper because
Letters never forget

So now it's your turn - when did you last write a proper letter?  Who was it too?  Did you used to write letters?  What made them special?  Did you ever get a letter delivered really late after it had been posted?  I'd love to know what your thoughts are on the art of letter writing so leave me a comment below :)

9 comments:

  1. It's nice to meet you through Celebrate the Small Things linkup. Nice artwork and poetry. I use to doodle, but haven't done much drawing in a very long time. Maybe, I need to pick up my pencil again. Have a nice day! I invite you to stop by anytime to see what’s going on with Curious as a Cathy, but today you have a chance to read http://curiousasacathy.com/2015/06/meet-my-grandparents-part-iii-flashbackfriday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a letter to our Aunt Pat just last week. My power was out and I decided to go old school. I admit I print, my cursive is horrific. Back a long time ago in college, I wrote weekly to my grandmother and she wrote back. I didn't save the letters, but I have the memory. It's funny. People are very pleased to get a real letter, and yet don't often reciprocate. Even cards are going by the wayside. Excellent poem and art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun doodle challenge! Handwritten letters are kind of old fashioned but more meaningful. I've never printed out an email, though maybe I should, since those are the letters of this age.
    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really superb article, this simply tells us about how the letters are being precious for the people on those days. Yes,though now, i have been working as a research paper writer in one of the leading best research writing service, i also know about how precious the letters are.Yes, in my childhood days, i have experienced the eagerness to study the letter given by the postman in the home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your doodle! I do still write letters. The most recent was a thank you note. There's something nice about sending gratitude the old-fashioned way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this doodle. It made me think of a news article I read this week; someone sent a postcard from Spain about thirty years ago which just arrived this week. The person who lives at that address now doesn't have a clue who it was intended for, but is looking to return it to either the intended recipient or the original sender.

    I love writing letters, though I don't write them as often as I'd like to. It's always fun to get something in the mail, especially when so much of what I receive is junk, election bumpf and bills. I think the last thing I received in the post was a selection of birthday cards. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still send cards but very rarely write letters - it's such a shame - they were always wonderful to receive. I still have the only couple of letters that my father wrote to me when I was at Uni.
    Your doodles are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a card sender, and I really like email. Since I can't draw, I've never been a doodler.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have lots of pen pals when I was a kid. I probably had more than twenty. They came from Sweden, New Zealand, Japan, France, The Philippines, Brazil, Russia, Hawaii, Germany, Burma, Africa, and other places I can't remember. I don't write letters anymore, but I recently decided to draw and paint cards for my friends and family so they have a nice surprise in their mailbox. So far I've sent cards to my mother and close friend for their birthday. They were happy to received them. Now I have to keep it up. Eep!

    ReplyDelete