Friday 11 April 2014

J is for Jungle, Jargon, Joy and Jigsaws

Jungle – you may well be asking - what on earth does that have to do with special needs education?  Well it’s a really amazing blog by Tania Tirraoro - Special Needs Jungle – that I came across when I began life as a SENCO (Special Needs Co-ordinator).  It can be a jungle out here in Special Needs for parents so she brings together plenty of news, reviews and insights in to how parents can receive the help their child is entitled to.  Sometimes it makes for difficult reading as a teacher because we don’t come out in a very positive light but it is always beneficial to see things from parents’ perspectives and I think it is an amazing blog – so even though she’s is not taking part in the challenge go and check it out!

Jargon – is the bane of everyone’s life.  I remember in my first IPM meeting (called and organised by my predecessor) having to ask the other professionals who had gathered there in the room what the initials actually stood for (Initial Professionals Meeting!)  We all agreed we would probably get along well as I was obviously not too shy in showing my own ignorance and I had a great desire to learn!  Please feel free if there is anything in these snippets I write you don’t understand just comment and  ask me because it is so easy to fall in to the trap that everyone knows what you’re talking about.


Joy – I have already talked about the immense pleasure you get in seeing a child understand something for the first time or be able to write a word independently using their phonics or learn how to use the number square to help themselves work something out.  I have been in other professions before I became a teacher and there is nothing like it.  My husband always says he sees my job as being his way to giving back to our community – he supports our family financially with a job that pays well but is for its own means – whilst I go out to give the support and fun the children in my school need for a very poor salary compared to the hours I work.  I think I get what he’s on about and I certainly wouldn’t trade his job for mine whatever the financial incentive!

And finally Jigsaws - which I love to use with all children either doing numbers 1-20 and the alphabet in their early years.  Children love jigsaws and finding the right piece is a skill all by itself.  For special needs children, jigsaws can be a very good way for independent learning or assessment and I love using them as an interactive resource for many things.  My freebie TpT product today is my "One Less than" jigsaws - can the child find the number that goes before the given number between 11 and 19?  Enjoy!!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/One-less-Than-Jigsaws-1202011



3 comments:

  1. Great post! I feel like I can really learn a lot of useful tips here. New follower, Shawn from Laughing at Life 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shawn - I've followed you back and enjoyed your "phobias" - I've been wanting to include a joke in my blog but I really don't know any about teachers!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your support, Amber. I am really enjoying this challenge - it's lovely to indulge oneself in writing about things that are close to one's heart.

    ReplyDelete