Friday 19 February 2016

Celebr#8

This lovely and easy blog hop is hosted by the ever busy Lexa Cain and her co-hosts L.G. Keltner and Tonja Drecker.  All you do is write a post about some of the small things that have made you happy this week :)

If you want to join in then please visit Lexa and she will add your name to the list which she has just this week updated!

 

For me this week has brought:

Generosity by Tesco (a large chain of food stores here in the UK) who when I approached them to say I was hoping to start a community Nordic Walking group in the area immediately offered their canteen which would supply my walkers with FREE coffee/tea and cake!!  I was hoping they might say they'd do a few drinks but I wasn't expecting cake and I wasn't expecting that they also said if I wanted to do anything in the evening they would also cater for this too.  How nice is that?

Laughter - I dragged a friend out with me to watch a female comedy group perform on the top deck of a double decker bus.  We were the oldest people there but were warmly invited into the group audience which were a very friendly bunch and it was a wonderful experience with a lot of laughs (although some of the material went right over our heads!!) and I was so pleased I'd tried something different :)

Curtains - I have been looking for (no I mean desperately searching for) two pairs of curtains for our bedroom for over a year now.  There have been many problems along the way - the main one getting TWO pairs rather than one as I have seen a number of single pairs that would have done, the length needed as the windows are tall and getting ones that are made from expensive material that suits the room but NOT paying hundreds of pounds for them which has meant looking for bargains and charity shop finds.  At the beginning of Feb, I was given an ultimatum by Hubs get the curtains sorted or by the end of Feb we would be going to Dunelm Mill and he'd be buying two pairs from there!!
Don't get me wrong Dunelm is good for many things but it's a bit soulless and I didn't want curtains that should be special to come from there!!
Then this week I decided to come back through town via a charity shop I only visit occasionally and there dumped on a sofa as I came through the door was a heap of curtaining that had the exact look of what I had been after so I pounced on it and then noticed that there also seemed to be another lot of curtaining of the same material hanging up on a rail!!.  I had no tape measure, the store was busy and the counter was miniscule so I decided I would just take a chance and managed to dump them in front of the cashier who charged me £30 for the two pairs.  The weight of them alone meant I knew they were made of good quality material and when I finally got them home and spread them out on the bedroom floor I realised that although neither pair was long enough for my windows one of the pair was considerably wider than the other so I should be able to make two correctly sized pairs from them.  They are both fully lined and have lead weights in the bottom and are just what I was looking for so I have begun work on them and hope to spend this weekend getting at least one pair finished and ready for hanging so stay tuned for pictures of the process!!

Here's to everyone else having a great weekend and please tell me what bargains you've picked up, who's given you a chuckle or who's been generous of spirit to you this week? You know I'd love to know!!

16 comments:

  1. It's so great to hear about the support you're getting for your track class! Yay for enjoying something new with a good friend, and double yay for useable curtains that I'm sure will be perfect when you're done with them! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lexa for all your hard work on this blog hop - it is so nice to be able to share good news :)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that Tesco's being that generous! I'm sure that makes things so much easier. Glad you found curtains. That's not easy...usually, I end up sewing them myself out of frustration. Do we get to see pics when they're hung up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to take pics of before and after - just so I can remind myself in years to come what all the hard work was in aid of!

      Delete
  3. That's great news about Tesco planning to share coffee and cake for your walkers, and catering, too! Congrats on finding the curtains you wanted. Sounds like a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tesco was very forthcoming with their help which is so very kind and will be particularly pleasing to those walkers after their exercise :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, how nice of Tesco's to donate all that for you. I haven't heard of Nordic walking. It sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it (and read your previous post about it). :) That's great that you tried something new. And how lucky for you to walk in and find those curtains. I hope they work out perfectly for you. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loril and yes I still can't quite believe my luck in finding them - just in time too!!

      Delete
  5. Charity shops are the best! I think about 90% of my wardrobe comes from them. And often you find exactly what you're looking for, just like you did with the curtains! Good score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to engage in the 3 Rs - reduce, reuse and recycle and giving to and buying from charity shops is a great way to do this as well as saving a whole lot of money!!

      Delete
  6. Awesome news about Tesco helping out.. nice to see the bigger chains helping out:) Also lucky to find the curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady I met with said she thought it would be a great way for the store to engage with the community and do some good - I think because they are a new store they haven't established that many links yet with what's going on locally.

      Delete
  7. How delightful that Tesco is helping your group out. And hurray for trying something new via the comedy group. And I look forward to seeing pictures of your new curtains (what a score!) Have a great week ~Lori~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lori - yes this week I had lots to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great Tesco is helping your group. How awesome! Enjoy those curtains and I hope the coming week is wonderful for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie and I'm glad Tesco were so keen to help - it was a really positive experience :)

      Delete