Thursday 19 February 2015

There's a hole in my ceiling, dear Liza, dear Liza!


After deciding to inspect the bowing in the ceiling, I discovered there had been a slow leak going on from the roof for some time.  I carefully peeled back the wallpaper and a poke with the handle of a brush brought down the water logged plaster.

Now for a close up!

The original wattle and daub.

So I am now going to attempt to mend the ceiling using the original method.  Wish me luck and any advice will be gratefully received :-)

9 comments:

  1. oh no … good luck with that Pempi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, luck and some skills will be in great demand, I think!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry! ! I wish you luck in getting that back to good repair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! ! I wish you luck in getting that back to good repair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jannike. I have a feeling it will end up looking like a patch repair but in an old house that's what you have to expect and as long as the cold air isn't whistling through into the bedroom anymore I'll be happy :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the hole, but I have to admit that I liked seeing the wattle and daub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's very interesting seeing the old style methods used in building this house and it's amazing to thing that the hay and horsehair now all over the carpet is over 200 years old!!

      Delete
  5. Oh no. I hope that it's easily repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tricky part will be getting the new plaster to work in with the old (as I am NOT going to be using lime as I've been told it can be very dangerous) so I will have to take it slowly and build up in small layers and see how it takes!

      Delete