Wednesday 8 October 2014

Wordless Wednesday Nuts!

Taking part in:


I had a special visitor to my garden the other day and I actually managed to take a photo!


Just in case you're wondering, it's a nuthatch!  I was delighted to see not one but two the other day creeping about on one of the trees in my own garden - however they were far too flighty to stay still for me to get a quick snap so I decided to put out this bird feeder and see what I could attract and behold nuthatch upside down on it feeding!!  It's not the best quality photo obviously snapped through a window and standing the other side of the kitchen so as not to spook it so here's one that someone else took that shows this bird in all its glory.
Courtesy of Paul Riddle at http://www.naturespot.org.uk/

I was actually quite surprised to find out that it's not a rare bird in England or Wales (although it doesn't seem to frequent Scotland so much!) as this is only the second one I've seen in my life time (the first time was when I was a child at my parent's house).  Obviously, I just haven't been in the right place at the right time!  Anyway I hope to see them both hanging about the garden on the bird feeder - when I have the cats in I might add.

Have you seen something in nature recently that is quite rare to you?  Do you have nuthatches in your garden?  How do you squirrel proof your bird feeder?  Let me know in the comments below as I'm always happy to hear!


2 comments:

  1. That's great. Hope it becomes a regular sight in your garden.

    The other week we had a female pheasant perched on the gatepost of the carpark outside our house. We quite often seen pheasants and a hare next door or in the carpark but I've never seen one perched up there before.

    Living in the grounds of a big stately home in the middle of the countryside means we get all sorts of interesting visitors in our 'front garden' (the 350 acres our home is located in). I've got quite used to seeing deer, hedgehogs, pheasants and assorted rabbits. When my Mum was up last week she spotted a bird that was probably a woodpecker which I was thrilled to see. I've heard them in the grounds but never seen one before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Click, you are making me so jealous - I have loved your island through your photographs but now you tell me you live in the middle of 350 acres of it - you are so, so, so lucky!!

    ReplyDelete