Tuesday 11 April 2017

I is for Idiot


Idiot, Imbecile, Ignoramus,
Incompetent ... ipso facto
The child becomes what it is told



Not surprisingly, children if told they are stupid when struggling to learn new skills or put them into practise, will soon stop trying and therefore will become more incompetent than others who are given praise ad encouragement.  It always saddens me to hear parents call their child an idiot and for a child to tell me they are an idiot when struggling with doing something. It makes my blood boil if I hear a teacher use such a word when speaking to a child.  Of course at times we all behave idiotically or may be incompetent at something but it needs to be seen for what it is rather than define who we are!
So when was the last time you did something idiotic or do you think you are incompetent at something and wish you could master it?  Let me know by leaving a comment below :)



9 comments:

  1. My kids think I'm an idiot because I don't keep up with all the latest gizmos. I'd rather read.

    I is for Illuminati

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a computer and phone idiot. I do feel sorry for kids if they are put down. That is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can't wait for children to come home for Easter so they can sort out what I've done wrong on my phone settings - I can't pick up or send any emails now!!!!

      Delete
  3. That's wrong to put a kid down like that!

    I am incompetent with too many gadgets, but I manage to get by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes children should always be encouraged in their learning even if they are never going to master something they should never be made to feel that it is their fault - we each have our own gifts and cannot do everything well!

      Delete
  4. Never an idiot, just slow when it comes to technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as I get older, I find I'm slowing down in being able to quickly assimilate new information into my day to day way of doing things!

      Delete
  5. I can remember, in 8th grade, having a home ec class. We were taught knitting but I just couldn't master it. The teacher would belittle me, criticize me for having "cold hands" (in adulthood, I was told I had a medical condition called Reynauld's Syndrome). I dreaded going to school so badly. No child should ever have to go through anything like that. I can not imagine having a parent doing that to you, where there is no escape. The Unknown Journey Ahead agingonthespectrum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete