Thursday 27 April 2017

W is for Winter Wonderland


Warm woolies, wet wellies,
whooshing whiteness, welcome whistle,
Walking (and running and sliding) in a Winter Wonderland


We used to be allowed out in the snow to build snowmen, throw snowballs, slip and slide and delight in the white blanketed school field and playground.  Because I could walk to my schools, school never seemed to close although I do remember some of the school buses from the tiny villages (at senior school) not turning up very occasionally.  

Now days when it snows, schools are much more likelier to close due to lack of teachers and pupils making it in - probably because so many more live further away.  Certainly on snowy days, my children and I would listen to the morning radio to hear the list of school closures and most of the time they'd be wishing their ones would be closed!!

Do you remember your winter school days?  Did you clip your welly boots together with a peg?  Did your teachers join in the fun? Or if you live in a hot country that doesn't have snow, do schools close if it gets too hot and at what temperature does that happen?  Leave a message below because I sure would like to know :)

6 comments:

  1. It's always a delight to come here and read your post. I well remember my winter schooldays, snowball fights and slippery ice .
    Have a great week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowball fights at recess or the bus stop were allowed back in the day. Rosy cheeks and cold lungs. All fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember wearing layers of clothing for the 10 block walk to school. Leggings, hat, scarf, and rubber boots up to my knees. At school the teacher had to deal with a lot of wet clothing. Today everyone rides a bus and travels by car. So different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter at school sounds like great fun. Lovely to read about winter when the temperatures in Delhi are hovering above 40 degrees C. Schools here close if it's over 43 degrees for two days running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't ever remember missing school as a child because of the snow. I do remember one day when it snowed so much during the day while we were at school that we needed to be driven home on ski-doos (snowmobiles) because the bus couldn't make it through the deep snow in our mountain valley, but most days the snow plows were out and working to keep the roads passable. We did have mounds of galoshes and wet hats and mittens drying on the radiator after recesses all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really had snow until I left home for college (Florida is WAY too hot for snow even during the winter most of the time). Here, though, schools often close because we get ice instead of snow most of the time. So dangerous! Hope you had a great A to Z. I'm just finishing up visits. *flails* lol

    ReplyDelete